Major project of the nesting period, and probably the one I’m most proud of, next to the mobile.
When the Boy and I first moved in together, I realised quite quickly that there wasn’t enough space for my clothes. I am, at heart, cheap, so I also didn’t want to pay for a new dresser. Instead I hunted on gumtree and came across a second hand chest of drawers.
I can’t remember what we paid now, it was definitely less than $50, I think it was more around $20, but not sure. We bought it from a man who literally lived on the other side of town to us, and was the most monosyllabic mopey person I’ve ever met. You think we were buying a wedding present from a failed marriage.
It was fairly ugly, but it was cheap and served a purpose. In our new house we’re going to have a flashy walk in robe, so this chest of drawers was likely to see itself on another gumtree ad, or donated away. That was until I got it into my head that I wanted to make a set of jungle drawers for incoming Bub.
I wish I took a starting photo of the ugliness of this dresser, but here’s a mid-sanding shot.
This awful brown, broken knobs which had been super glued back on instead of replaced. But solid pine, not a hint of veneer, and therefore it could be at the whim of my electric sander. (Please note, do not buy a cheap sander like me, you’ll pay the price in it melting on you when you’ve been using it too long. This sanding on the top of the dresser was almost too much for it, and we’ve now had to toss it out cause of the whole electrocution risk.)
One coat of primer, a decorative amount of acrylic paint, add to that a spray coat of varnish, and you have yourself a transformed chest of drawers. I google imaged searched “peekaboo animals,” to get a good idea of how to draw each of the animals and get their proportions right. The hippo drove me nuts and took a few goes to get right. The lion is currently my favourite.
The handles were a cheap set of plastic toys which the Boy turned into handles for me, using bits of dow, a finger destroying moment of saw use, and a liberal amount of glue.
All in all, I think we did a great job. I can’t wait to see it in bub’s nursery in the new house. Which the builders promise me we’ll be moved in by the end of August… hopefully sooner. 🙂
Not sure what to do next as I think I’ve covered off all the pieces I’ve done in the past few months. It may have to wait until I’m in the next house as most of my stuff is still in boxes, or the projects I’ve already started require a good deal more space to finish. So I guess it’s a watch this space.